Sorry for the delay in getting the winner posted from the Winter Cheer Giveaway #2. Yesterday I was anxiously waiting for a friends results from some medical tests, so decided to try and distract myself by going antique shopping in the States. Miraculously although she was never far from my mind, it did help. It's been ages since I've taken a day to hunt for treasures. I've stopped for a few moments the odd time when picking up my mail (there is an antique shop right by my US post office box). But as for spending a whole day? That hasn't happened since before Silver Bella. So yesterday I headed off to my favorite haunts, seeking treasures to add to my collections. By the time I came home I'd bought the following:
- I had found 11 silver glass ornaments with just the perfect amount of tarnish on them
- 2 glittered houses (I really want to make something like these ones that Linda made which were shown in the Melissa Frances Dec/Jan newsletter)
- a spelling primer from 1892
- the most perfect portrait (approximately 9x6) of 2 sisters taken in 1902 (I paid too much for it, but they looked so lonely and in need of someone to take them home. I felt positive that my studio would be a much happier place for them than the antique mall)
- a new doll head (yes, it is an illness, lol!)
- Oh, and I found the mother-load...a huge tray of mother of pearl buttons and another one of rhinestone buttons. I left an offer for the dealer with the antique shop and they called me back this morning with a counter offer which I've accepted. It's one of those things where all being said, it's a lot of money to buy them, but it's still a good deal....you know what I mean? It's like buying a house that is valued for 5 million for 1 million. It's still a lot of money, but it's a good deal...I'll show them to you when I bring them home sometime next week.
I got home around 7pm and after hearing no news from my friend spent the rest of the evening incredibly worried (she'd told me the day before that no news meant bad news, and to please give her space)...so hopefully you understand why I didn't post the draw. I had horrible luck trying to fall asleep, last time I looked at the clock it was 4:32 AM and my mind was still worrying. Fast forward to this morning, and Rick wakes me up and tells me that my friend is on the phone. She was all apologetic and told me that she was so worn out the day before that after getting good news she'd gone right to bed. (Poor thing, she'd been incredibly worried and not slept much in the preceding days). I was SO relieved. What an answer to prayer. We needed a Christmas miracle, and this certainly filled the bill!
To finish up, here's my holiday music pick for today. It's from the Celtic Woman Christmas television special which is airing several times throughout the holiday season on PBS. I find the choreography a bit too staged, but my-oh-my, those gals can sing. It's a beautiful holiday album. Enjoy!